The Children’s Food Trust
1 East Parade
Phone: 0114 2996901
Click to email
Egg, milk, soya, wheat (gluten) *
* Presence of allergens can vary by brand - always check product labels. If you serve food outside the home you must make allergen information available when asked.
By perfect boiled eggs we mean a firm white and a runny yolk, ideal for dipping. It is essential to time the cooking, so you will need a timer or watch with a second hand.
Eggs (1 or 2 per person)
Wholemeal bread for toasting (1 or 2 slices per person)
12g unsaturated fat spread (per slice)
A timer or watch with a second hand
Toaster or grill
Slotted draining spoon or
Plates to serve
1. Place the eggs in the saucepan.
2. Pour cold water onto the eggs to a depth of around 2cm above the eggs.
3. When the water is boiling, turn it down to a gentle simmer. Start timing the simmering straight away and let the eggs simmer for 2–3 minutes depending on how you like your eggs.
4. While the eggs are cooking, get the toast ready and have egg cups nearby.
5. As soon as the 3 minutes are up, remove the eggs with a slotted spoon or large serving spoon. You can steady the eggs with an oven glove if necessary.
6. Serve immediately with toast.
Skills used include:
Boiling/simmering, spreading, grilling and serving.