Our Take Two campaign
Our campaign to help parents and school cooks encourage children to eat at least two portions of fruit and veg in their school meal or packed lunch
We've teamed up with kids' food writer and broadcaster, Fiona Faulkner, to help you make sure your children ‘take two’ of their five-a-day every day at school lunchtime this year.
It’s recommended that children have at least two of their five-a-day at lunchtime to help them take in the essential nutrients they need each day.
While things have improved a lot, research shows many children still aren’t even getting close.
That’s why Fiona – nicknamed the ‘Harry Potter of vegetables’ and who wrote 25 Foods Kids Hate…and How to Get Them Eating 24 – is helping us share techniques and recipes for school meals and packed lunches – all aimed at getting children to fall in love with their fruit and veg.
What you can do
Like Take Two At School on Facebook – tell us about the fruit and veg your kids are eating at lunchtime at school, share your tips and recipes and let us know how you get on
Tweet us your tips @childfoodtrust using the hashtag #taketwoatschoollunch
- Try the tips and recipes below
- Post your school’s name and address, along with your school’s top tip for getting kids to ‘take two’, on our Facebook page to be entered into a draw to win a cooking session with Fiona!
Other great fruit and veg recipes to try with kids at home:
- Try a new recipe every month with Let’s Get Cooking – the country’s largest network of healthy cooking clubs for kids and families
- Fiona’s recipe for Butternut and Banana Smoothie - if you’re using this recipe in school using the national school food standards, you’ll need to adjust the portion size.
- Fiona’s recipe for Slumdog Soup - if you’re using this recipe in school lunch menus meeting the national school food standards, you’ll need to add more veg to a secondary-age portion. To reduce the salt content even more, you could leave out the stock cube.
- More recipe ideas from Fiona for getting kids eating veg at home: Mr Lion Lunch and Mr Crab Dinner.
- Visit Fiona’s website